If you know the basic skills involved in sewing, but looking for a complementary hobby to add to it, you can take courses on pattern making. This skill will come in handy for you and those around you.
WHAT IS PATTERN MAKING?
Pattern making is a creative art. It involves manipulating and shaping pieces of fabric to conform to one or more curves of the body. Pattern making is a blueprint for garment construction based on which the fabric is cut out. It is the technical drawing or drafting of a garment on paper.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF PATTERN MAKING?
There are different pattern-making involved in the production of a garment. They include:
- Flat Pattern Making: flat pattern making is a type of pattern-making that translates 3D shape with muslin fabric which is then transferred to paper. A flat pattern helps to highlight the area of movement and makes the garment comfortable. It can be achieved by five main components; front bodice, back bodice, neckline, sleeve, and fitted skirt which can be complemented by darts to get the right shape. As fashion keeps evolving, the flat pattern can be manipulated to fit the new trends.
- Drafting: drafting is used to initiate design by using standard sizing preset from factories. It is a two-dimensional method of preparing a pattern paper. The pattern is prepared on brown paper using measurements of the wearer with marking for seam allowance which allows for comfortability. Drafting can be done manually or produced by software programmed to construct patterns according to given measurements.
- Fashion Draping: fashion draping involves draping the muslin over a mannequin to create a 3D shape. After a designer is satisfied with the outcome, the fabric is transferred to paper for the final pattern. This helps the designer project how the outcome of the garment will look like before production.
CAN YOU LEARN PATTERN-MAKING ON YOUR OWN?
Pattern making is a technical skill that should be learned to understand the rudiment. Pattern making involves a bit of mathematics so you have to be okay with numbers either in your head, on paper, or using a calculator to learn on your own. You can learn pattern making from the comfort of your home at your convenience and according to your schedule by enrolling in online courses. You can also download pattern-making software and get yourself familiar with the software.
WHICH IS THE BEST SOFTWARE FOR PATTERN MAKING?
There are varieties of software that are excellent for pattern making; I will however provide you with the 5 best software. they include:
- Adobe Textile Designer: the adobe textile designer software acts as a set of tools for fashion designers. It helps them streamline the process of designing prints for fabrics for their needs. It can create bold and striking patterns for clothes, head ties, and many more.
- Pattern Smith: pattern Smith provides a wide range of tools to select from in creating apparel. Pattern smith allows you to draft patterns, edit, and also control cutting machines, giving you professional outcomes while helping you reduce the number of materials that will be wasted, thereby, simplifying the process of apparel construction. Some of the features found in pattern smith include a wide range of templates, it can create patterns in 3D and transforms to 2D for cutting, automatic computer calculated nesting which allows you to make out of the piece of the garment, a wide range of templates to choose from, and many others.
- Pattern Maker: pattern maker offers access to a wide range of features which includes great professional-looking templates, exportation, and opening of files, measured curved items with exact results, tools that can draw a wide range of patterns, and viewing and printing designs as needed.
- Accumark 2D: accumark helps pattern makers streamline the process of garment construction by offering access to a wide range of features that simplifies the process of creating, editing, cutting 2D panels, and allowing pattern makers to create wonderful pieces. The accumark 2D software also allows for custom reports based on your needs, easy customization on apparel, multi0dimensional grading, and create professional-looking garment designs.
- Valentina: Valentina is an open-source pattern-making software tool that allows for pattern creation using standard sizing tables or an individual’s set of measurements. It blends new technologies with traditional methods to create a unique pattern.
WHAT IS PATTERN MAKING IN FASHION DESIGNING?
Garment construction comprises various processes and stages such as pattern making, cutting, sewing, embellishment, finishing, and packing. These processes determine the outcome of the garment. Pattern making happens to be one of the most crucial processes. If the pattern is gotten right, half of the battle has been won.
Pattern making in fashion designing is very essential, it has become essential for a fashion designer to make patterns to enable them to construct different apparels. Pattern making is like creating the prototype for the garment on paper. It is the technical drawing or drafting of a garment. Pattern making gives meaning to garment construction by helping fashion designers create a line of differently sized garments that are similarly patterned thereby creating various themes for the garment. Pattern making helps interpret designs and understand them with technical ability. There are various methods fashion designers use in achieving the pattern of apparel. Some of them include:
- Tracing: tracing is one of the simplest and the best techniques for beginners. It involves placing a garment on paper and tracing the pattern out.
- Creating a Sloper: a slope is the building block from which a designer can make any number of patterns. There are two ways of achieving a slope, the first one is to find free sloper patterns online, while the second one is to create a slope from the scratch.
- Using software: in recent times, professionals use software to create patterns.
WHAT IS ADVANCED PATTERN MAKING?
Advance pattern making involves the use of a CAD system to recreate pattern designs by transferring ideas to the computer, digitizing and modifying patterns, using CAM to get patterns, and cutting out the exact size.
The majority of people perceive pattern-making to be a mystery. However, if you figure out that you love drafting, it is an incredibly rewarding and worthwhile career for you.