Throughout history, people have looked for ways to make themselves more noticeable and beautiful. The main thing that seems to constantly change is how different cultures define human beauty. The general definition of beauty is that it is the combination of qualities, shapes, colors, and forms that pleases the aesthetic senses. There are different ways beauty can be achieved and part of it includes the nails.
The nail industry is one of the most creative sectors of the beauty world. It pays to keep up with the fashion trend when it comes to dealing with nails. Those who specialize in nail services are called nail technicians.
WHO IS A NAIL TECHNICIAN?
A nail technician is a beauty specialist that provides nail services to clients. They are responsible for the grooming and appearances of clients’ nails, pedicure, manicure, callous removal, nail treatment, application of nail polish for their clients, and many other things as it relates to the nails.
WHY CHOOSE TO BECOME A NAIL TECHNICIAN?
Below are a few reasons to choose to become a nail technician.
- Creativity: every client who comes to a nail salon will want something different. This means that the nail technician gets an opportunity to unleash their creativity.
- Offers flexibility: if you are looking for a flexible job, taking up a career as a nail technician seems to be the perfect fit for you as the job offers a lot of freedom and flexibility. You can determine your schedule depending on the number of clients you are willing to take.
- Self-employed: choosing to be a nail technician means that you can choose to become your boss. You can decide to open up your nail salon instead of being a technician at a salon.
- Meeting new people: diverse people work in a nail shop regularly. One of the perks of being a nail technician is that you get to meet new people regularly.
- Great pay: a nail technician is paid well. It is one of the most paid jobs in the beauty industry.
- Job variety: nail technicians have a wide range of career opportunities, they can find work at a spa, school, telecommute, or be a celebrity stylist.
CAREERS FOR NAIL TECHNICIANS
Below is a list of potential careers to choose from if you are interested in being a nail technician. The most interesting thing is that you can choose to be all.
- Salon/Spas: working in a salon or spa is a great starting point for nail technicians. They can build on all the skills learned in school. The salon environment offers the opportunity to build rapport with clients.
- Retail and Consulting: you can become an expert in anything nail that your clients will look to you to educate them and recommend the right products for their nails.
- Mobile Manicurist: you can consider working from your house or traveling to meet clients to deliver nail services to them.
- Salon Owner: you can work on owning a salon if you have some natural management or leadership skill.
- Nail Technology Educator: you can decide to teach nails to other people intending to learn about nails. This is often a great option for those with loads of experience.
WHAT MAKES A GOOD NAIL TECHNICIAN?
- They are never too good to learn: good nail technicians know that the beauty world is ever-evolving, so they invest time in taking classes to keep up with new trends, and improve on their technical and business skills.
- They network with fellow nail technicians: a good nail technician networks with peers. They don’t stay isolated. They know they need connections and networks to get jobs and keep up with trends. They constantly brainstorm, get ideas, give advice, question, and challenge their peers in a bid to learn.
- They are professionals: a good nail technician is good at what they do. They are professionals and have a high level of expertise in the nail fields.
- They are innovative: a good nail technician is innovative and creative; they offer their clients something unique that generates excitement and engenders their clients’ loyalty.
- They are business- savvy: they spend their time honing their business skills and techniques.
- They are highly skilled: a good nail technician is highly skilled. They have the essential skills to succeed as a nail technician.
- They have good customer service skills: a good nail technician always seeks the satisfaction of their clients. They are committed to making their customers happy.
- They have good hygiene: cleanliness is of utmost importance to a good nail technician. They practice all the required hygiene measures to ensure the health and safety of their clients.
WHERE IS THE WORKPLACE OF A NAIL TECHNICIAN?
Nail technicians usually work at a nail salon where there are several other nail technicians. They can also work within a spa, a hairdressing salon, rent a space in a salon, work from home, or run a mobile business vising different salons or providing home services for clients. There may sometimes be opportunities to work with models, actors, photographers, TV presenters, and many others.
The environment of a nail salon, whether a proper shop or home should be one of cleanliness and professionalism. Technicians should wear white lab coats to show themselves as professionals in their field, and they must always adhere to safety precautions. It is also important to set up the nail salon in a way that offers relaxation while getting the nails done.
HOW TO BECOME A NAIL TECHNICIAN?
Nail technicians are usually required to complete a state-approved nail technician or cosmetology program; most areas have a local college to that effect. Training programs provide them with skills and experiences and give an insight into the right tools and products used to provide nail care, identifying nail disorders, disinfecting techniques, and sanitation.
After completing the program, they are required to take some written and practical exams to get licensed through the state board. Anyone applying for a license should be at least 16years old and have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
A nail technician is an essential career that is useful in today’s world. People all over the world will always require the need for a nail technician. So, if you desire to work with nails and provide nail services, you should look into picking up a nail technician as a career.
If you are interested in becoming a nail tech, check out our list of online nail tech courses.