In recent times, there has been a tremendous increase in the rate at which ladies fashion statements using a set of boldly crafted nails. Nail art has so much gained popularity that it involves not only hand-painted designs but also the incorporation of 3D elements.
The great surge in nail art popularity makes the demand for a professional nail technician to be unusually high. Nail technicians offer individualized services to their clients. These services include cleaning, trimming, filling, repairing, polishing, and a lot more to perfect the nails and toenails of clients.
The nail service can be a lucrative business, especially with the rise in demand for beautiful and fascinating nail designs by women. There is a lot of competition in the nail art world. But, with creativity, commitment, diligence and provision of unique services, you will thrive in this industry. Also, with these attributes, you will be able to make a name for yourself as a nail technician.
This article is for you if you would like to know how much an average nail technician makes. You will also learn some tips on increasing your earning potential as a nail technician.
How Much Money Do Nail Technicians Make?
Nail technicians usually work in a salon or spa. But nail techs who operate their company get to work from home or be a bit mobile in meeting with their clients.
Some factors which result in variation in the earnings of nail technicians are:
- Years of experience, that is, seniority level
- Employment type, whether full-time or part-time
- Another factor is the variation in wages by state and area. This is the geographic location factor.
In 2015, Beauty CE reported that nail technicians in Columbia, S.C., earn the most. The average pay of nail technicians in the area was reported to be over $40,000 per year.
In recent research, the average nail technician in the United States earns $16.24 per hour, and of course, some areas are higher while some are lower. For instance, Columbus, Ohio, has a report of $21.31 per hour as the average nail technician salary. On the contrary, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, has average hourly pay of $16.05.
Setting aside the statistics, having an impressive client list can enable you to make a good sizeable income as a nail technician.
How to Increase Your Earning Potential as a Nail Technician
There are ways you can maximize your income as a nail technician. Even though the pay of an average nail technician per hour is about $16, you can definitely exceed it. Below are some actionable tips you can adopt to increase your earning potential.
Develop your skills: you need to know the nail art designs that most clients are willing to pay handsomely for and develop your skills in this aspect. In other words, you need to identify your target market and harness the relevant skills that help to cater to this market. This strategy is by far the easiest way to earn more as a nail technician.
After identifying your target market, you need to pick a speciality and develop yourself to become a professional.
- Be on the lookout for high-quality clients: building a high-value client list is one of the best means to maximize your profits as a nail technician.
This step is achievable by different means, such as exposing your brand to millions of clients by advertising your business. You can also get your business to your prospective clients by promoting your profile across email campaigns, social media and search engines.
Moreover, creating a spectacular portfolio helps show your prospective clients that you are capable of doing so much. When you display the uniqueness of your work and your mastery of the nail art craft using your portfolio, you are sure to get consistent high-value clients.
- Build your Brand: Your goal as a nail technician who would like to be among the highest-paid nail technicians is to develop a brand for yourself. To have a lucrative nail art venture, you need to build a brand that will add legitimacy to your work. Your brand will also make it easier to grow your reputation in the manicure and pedicure industry.
It would be best if you decided what you desire your brand to be known for, that is, your brand’s value system. Your brand could be known for various things such as the offering of high-quality work, reasonable charges for service or dedication to clients.
It is essential that you establish your brand because it helps increase your client list by extending the reach of your services.
- Monitor your Product: one of the aspects of the beauty business which most nail technicians overlook is their margin. In the nail salon business, the margin is the cost it takes you to perform your service in relation to what you charge to perform the service. This aspect is important because it helps you as a nail technician map out your expenses before carrying out your service.
This strategy of mapping out every expense will help minimize your overall cost while enabling you to maximize your revenue.
- Ensure Easy Payments: another vital way of enhancing your earning potential is by ensuring that your payment process is easy and hitch-free. This feature helps to ensure that your clients do not get stressed out when offering your service. Thus, they have a relaxing and enjoyable time when getting their nails done.
Some other strategies you can adopt to earn more as a nail technician include upselling services during booking, charging more for popular time slots and trying your hands on offering mobile nail services.
Now that you have an idea of the earning potential of a nail technician and the tips for having a successful nail art business, you need to put in the work. The proper development of your game, accurate understanding of how to market your services and creating a great portfolio will help step up your game as a nail technician. By mastering these areas of focus, you will cause your brand and client list to grow in a significant way.
In all, being specific with your goals, having a strong commitment to achieving your goal, and having a strong work ethic are what you should imbibe as a nail technician. Also, it takes research, experience and dedication to get your nail business thriving. With these value systems, you will gain the potential to be among the highest-paid nail technicians there are.
If you are interested in taking an online course, click here.