If you are obsessed and crazy about following beauty trends or trying out the most popular skincare, haircare, and makeup routines, you are probably destined for a career in the beauty industry.
Anyone who works in the beauty industry will tell you that it is an exciting, inspiring, and growing industry full of creative and innovative ideas.
Depending on your interest and skills, there are several positions in the beauty industry for you to choose from and that is what this article is all about.
WHAT IS THE BEAUTY INDUSTRY?
The beauty industry is quite broad, it includes both services and products. It is an industry that encompasses sales of cosmetics, perfumes, and products for skin, nail, and hair care. Beauty salons and spas are considered the service sector of the beauty industry.
WHY CHOOSE A CAREER IN THE BEAUTY INDUSTRY?
There are a lot of reasons to choose a career in the beauty industry and those reasons will be different depending on individual perception but here are a few reasons that are common to beauty professionals.
- It is not location-specific: you can choose to work from anywhere in the world. There is usually no limit to where you can work. Skills in the beauty industry are transferrable and if there is a need to travel to a new location, it is not a must to speak their language before you can provide your services.
- Job security: the beauty industry offers job security. Till eternity, people will always want and need to improve their looks.
- You become self-employed: anyone who chooses a career in the beauty industry can create their source of income because people are always demanding their services. A career in the beauty industry is an opportunity to become your entrepreneur. This has made the beauty world a profitable niche to build a career in.
- Meet new people: a career in the beauty industry is a social-friendly one that exposes you to meeting new people regularly. You could meet them either as a co-worker or clients. You really cannot tell who your next client would be.
- Enhances your creative skills: a career in the beauty industry will help you put your creativity to good use. For each branch of the industry, there are many opportunities to exercise your creative skills. You are exposed to working with a different client, consequently, you will want to be creative with styles as they come up in the future.
- Self-fulfilling: there is nothing more satisfying and self-fulfilling than to watch a client being happy with your services. You will feel so fulfilled transforming their looks and helping them feel good about themselves. Moreover, it can also contribute to the improvement of your self-esteem.
- You make your money: when you render services to someone, you will get paid. The beauty industry is always a busy one which means that people will require your services leading you to make money frequently.
- Schedule flexibility: schedule is one of the most important things to consider when deciding on a career. Picking up a career in the beauty industry guarantees you an advantage because you will get to work according to your schedule. You can get to choose when to work, accept appointments and when not to.
- Variety: variety is one of the large benefits of picking up a career in the beauty industry. The beauty industry is constantly evolving with new trends, meaning that you have the opportunity to explore and learn about new trends as they evolve.
CAREERS IN THE BEAUTY INDUSTRY
There are hundreds of careers in the beauty industry to pick from but here are a few:
- Dermatologists: these are medical doctors that specialize in skin, hair, and nail concerns. They care for people of all ages, and they can identify more than 3,000 conditions.
- Hairstylist: a hairstylist cuts, styles, and colors clients’ hair. They specialize in the fashioning and treatment of hair. Their responsibilities also include cleaning and cutting hair, offering hair care and hairstyling consultation, and recommending products to use for the hair.
- Nail technician: nail technician provides nail care services. Their occupation is to style, decorate, and shape a person’s nails. A nail technician can also apply artificial nails or specialize in nail arts.
- Makeup artists: makeup artists are beauty practitioners who offer makeup services or work. They help their clients improve on their appearance. Their primary duty includes enhancing facial aesthetics through makeup, creating a custom look for clients, working with actors on a movie set, and many others.
- Eyelash technician: an eyelash technician applies false eyelashes to the eyelids of their clients. They are also tasked with eyelash extension; extending the eyelashes of their clients.
- Massage therapist: a massage therapist is someone who helps relieves their clients’ stress and knots from their muscles by using touch to manipulate the soft-tissue muscles of the body, thereby making them feel relaxed.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO PICK A CAREER IN THE BEAUTY INDUSTRY
- Communication skills: anyone who works in the beauty industry interacts with a diverse range of clients and other professionals. Therefore, they must have exceptional communication skills, they have to be able to speak to their clients, listen to their clients, and work with them to provide the service required of them.
- Customer service: anyone who picks up a career in the beauty industry must have strong customer service skills. They have to be able to make their clients’ feel welcomed by attending to their needs and providing them with exceptional services.
- Creative thinking: the beauty industry requires creative thinkers. People who can think innovatively to create unique styles and trends.
- Networking skills: most people that pick up a career in the beauty industry are business owners. So, they must be able to network to build a strong network for support.
- Time management: time management is an essential skill for anyone looking for a career in the beauty industry.
- Organizational skill: a neat workplace area will attract more clients. This is why organizational skill is essential for anyone looking to build a career in the beauty industry.
There are so many career paths in the beauty industry. Regardless of which career path you choose, you need to have passion, interest, and determination to make it in the competitive market.