Digital drawing is the type of art that is created using graphics software. Digital artists draw using a computer and other digital devices like a mouse or stylus, unlike the conventional artists who use graphite, charcoal and paper to draw.
Digital drawing also involves the use of some programs which offer useful features like color palettes, brush sets, layers, pressure-sensitive strokes and so on. Unlike traditional art, digital art is unaffected by the many limitations associated with the material world. As a digital artist, you are assured of access to all the essential tools you need to develop an exceptional piece of art.
With the advancement in technology, there are now numerous online digital art courses and this can result in a bit of challenge when looking for the online digital art course that will suit your needs and preferences. But not to worry, as this article is provided to inform you of the best online digital art courses you can enroll for to either learn from scratch or improve your proficiency as a digital artist.
Advantages of Taking Up Digital Art Courses
Some people view technology as a considerable threat to originality as it seeks to replace traditional artmaking, despite this, there are still many reasons why digital art is believed to be advantageous. Moreover, according to studies, it is believed that digital tools in art education improve artistic development as creativity.
Below are some of the advantages of digital drawing/art:
- Digital art helps with space management: generally, paintings and drawings take a lot of physical space. A lot of your space is occupied by the pieces of paper you accumulate when drawing as well as other drawing materials you will be needing to draw.However, with digital art, you only need the hard drive space on your computer and with the accessible cloud storage technology, there is nearly unlimited space for you to create and store your art pieces.
- Allows for more exploration: digital art allows for unlimited experimental possibilities, unlike traditional artmaking which is limited in its approach.
- Perfect for beginners: digital art offers a great platform for aspiring artists to kickstart their art career. The digital world offers countless applications and software that will enable you to achieve many features and drawing tricks. This is unlike the conventional one where you have to endure hours of rubbing or having to screw up pieces of paper on your walls.
Both digital art and traditional drawing are unique and none is superior to the other. However, digital art offers fantastic digital functionalities which can be a great way to start learning and mastering different artistic styles while building your confidence in the art world.
Benefits of Online Digital Art Courses
The advent of digital art is a result of ever-evolving technology. And now, digital art represents more advanced possibilities ranging from 3D model animation to unique paintings compared to traditional art. With access to numerous online materials and courses nowadays, it is now very possible and easy for creative art prospects to better showcase their ideas and works to the world.
If you are still in doubt whether taking up an online course is the perfect way to go about learning digital art, then do take time to read further. Some of the reasons why it is beneficial to master your digital art skill through online courses are given below:
- Serves as an avenue to interact with top industry mentors: learning digital art through online courses makes it possible for you to connect with proven digital artists who know and understand what it takes to become a professional digital creative.Irrespective of your location or time zone, online learning enables you to access and interact with mentors working in top game and film studios worldwide and this could be a game-changer in your digital art learning journey.
- Allows for increased engagement: taking up courses online allows for a more dedicated and uninterrupted learning experience. The online intimate group setting helps you to be more comfortable asking questions and with this type of environment you set yourself up to become a pro digital artist.
- Very flexible scheduling: most online courses are self-paced and so you get the flexibility to plan your lessons and study time.
Enrolling on online digital courses allows you to study wherever and whenever, thus, having work or family commitments would not impede you from learning digital art.
9 Best Online Digital Art Courses 2021
The Udemy: The Beginner’s Guide to Digital Art with Procreate is an amazing course from which you will learn the basics of digital art on your iPad with the step-by-step lessons for Procreate, a powerful digital art app.
The instructor of Udemy: The Beginner’s Guide to Digital Art with Procreate on iPad is Kurt Michael Russell, a professional colorist and art instructor. From this course, you will understand how to use Procreate’s powerful art tools and you will also learn a workflow, step-by-step, one which works for many types of art whether comic, manga, cartoons and more.
Also, you will learn how to use the built-in recording features of Procreate to create fun-time lapse drawings and paintings. The content of this digital painting course makes it perfect for you whether you are looking to draw or color just for fun or work. Over 9000 students are enrolled in this course.
- A very high 4.6-star rating
- 3.5 hours on-demand video
- 1 article and 1 downloadable resource
- Certificate of completion
- Best suited for beginners
- Taught by a professional digital artist
2. Udemy: Complete Beginner's Guide to Digital Art
If you want to be a digital artist, the Udemy: Complete Beginner’s Guide to Digital Art is one of the best digital art courses for you. From this course, you learn how to illustrate and create art like a pro.
The instructor of the Udemy: Complete Beginner’s Guide to Digital Art is Rich Graysonn, an experienced and professional illustrator designer. This instructor does not just introduce you to digital art but art in general. In this course, you will learn the basics of line drawing, how to make simple shapes as well to understand the relationships between lines and shapes.
Moreover, you will learn to use lines and shapes to draw from observation, the basics of any digital art software and the basics of digital coloring. Apart from enhancing your work, this course will also give you a solid base for learning any other online course or book.
With this course, you will move from being a novice or hobbyist to having the mentality and skills of a professional. Over 27000 students are enrolled in this course.
- A high 4.4-star rating
- 16 hours on-demand video
- 8 downloadable resources
- Certificate of completion
- Perfect for beginner digital artist
- Taught by a professional artist
3. Skillshare: Intro to Procreate: Illustrating on the iPad
The Skillshare: Intro to Procreate: Illustrating on the iPad is an amazing course from which you will learn how to use Procreate for digital art drawing on your iPad Pro with great ease.
The instructor of the Skillshare: Intro to Procreate: Illustrating on the iPad course is Brooke Glaser, an illustrator and children’s designer. The instructor covers all the hidden tools and gestures you need to create digital illustrations with ease and fun.
Also, you will learn how to make and share a cool time-lapse video of your art. By the end of this course, you would know how to create digital illustrations as intuitively and naturally as drawing with pencil and paper. Over 70,000 students are enrolled in this course.
- 19 lessons and 455 projects
- Over 1-hour on-demand video
- Taught by a professional artist
- Best suited for beginner-level artists
4. Lynda: Drawing and Painting in Photoshop
Lynda: Drawing and Painting in Photoshop is a great course that is specifically put together for artists who desire to transition their analogue skills to a digital canvas.
Lynda: Drawing and Painting in Photoshop course is taught by Daniel Lieske, a comic book illustrator and video game artist. This instructor offers you tips and techniques that will simplify your workflow, organize your illustrations and start creating art.
Also, in this digital painting course, you are taught how to use digital brushes, masks, texture tools, selections, color pickers and additional Photoshop features. After going through how to use Photoshop, you will be taken through the creation and completion of three full illustration projects.
The topics covered in this course include setting up a digital canvas, using palettes, selecting color using the Eyedropper, using the mixer brush, using the Clone Stamp tool, painting a foreground, midground and background among many other valuable topics. Ultimately, this course teaches you the essential skills needed for drawing and painting in Adobe Photoshop. By the end of this course, you will know your way around the digital canvas and a piece of paper.
- Over 5 hours of on-demand video
- 11 lessons and 3 projects
- Best suited for beginner level artists
- Taught by a great artist and instructor
5. Udemy: Procreate Academy. Ultimate Course, Digital Drawing on iPad
Do you desire to know how to use the most powerful tool for creating digital drawings? If yes, then the Udemy: Procreate Academy. Ultimate Course, Digital Drawing on iPad is a suitable course for you as you will learn how to use Procreate.
Udemy: Procreate Academy. Ultimate Course, Digital Drawing on iPad is a great course from which you will learn how to fully dominate the Procreate app, from the basic tools such as the brush or smudge to the most advanced setup of layers or blending modes.
From this course, you will understand the basics of digital drawing, how to create incredible digital drawings and illustrations. You will also learn shading and illumination, color theory, creating and editing procreate brushes among many other things.
With the knowledge on how to use Procreate that you will gain from this course, you will be able to create incredible drawings and illustrations with professional finishing. Over 4000 students are enrolled in this course.
- A high 4.5-star rating
- 11.5 hours on-demand video
- 27 downloadable resources
- Certificate of completion
- Taught by a best-selling instructor
6. Udemy: How to Create Digital Art: Complete Fundamentals Course
Udemy: How to Create Digital Art: Complete Fundamentals Course offers you an avenue to learn how to use digital tools to draw and paint as well as understand the software and tools you need to draw.
To start drawing and painting digitally, it is essential that you know the tools required to do this. And this is what the Udemy: How to Create Digital Art: Complete Fundamentals Course is guaranteed to offer as it covers the core knowledge and practical theory needed to utilize digital art software and hardware elements to create artwork digitally.
The instructor of this course is Scott Harris, an illustrator, painter and art instructor who has helped a large number of students to grow their art skills, learn to draw characters, understand coloring and perspective among other things.
From this course, you will learn how to draw and paint in digital art software, understand the digital canvas and workspace, how to utilize brushes, selections, color pickers and many more. Over 3000 people are enrolled in this course.
- A high 4.2-star rating
- 1.5 hours on-demand video
- 2 articles
- Suitable for beginner artists
7. Skillshare: Isometric Illustration in Procreate: Design Your Dream Room
Skillshare: Isometric Illustration in Procreate: Design Your Dream Room is an amazing art course from which you will learn to easily present a three-dimensional object on a flat two-dimensional surface using an isometric illustration.
Skillshare: Isometric Illustration in Procreate: Design Your Dream Room offers you lessons on how to use isometric illustrations, which is presently the most popular design trends to make amazing-looking artwork. The instructor of this course is Weronika Salach, an artist, a yoga and meditation teacher.
From this course, you will learn a broad range of hot Procreate tips to design your dream isometric space, at the same time, you will be equipped with a collection of free Procreate brushes that will help you with an effortless learning experience while going through the course.
The topics covered in this course include understanding isometric perspective, how to use an appealing pastel color palette, Procreate speedpaint, how to use real-life reference creativity and also tips on the tools, Procreate brushes and the canvas specs. Over 6000 students are enrolled in this course.
- 2 hours on-demand video
- 20 lessons and 134 projects
- Suitable for all levels of artists
- Taught by a great instructor
8. Pluralsight: Digitally Painting Visual Effects in Photoshop
Pluralsight: Digitally Painting Visual Effects in Photoshop is a great course from which you will get a series of tutorials on how to create visual effects with digital painting.
The instructor of the Pluralsight: Digitally Painting Visual Effects in Photoshop is Alex Hernandez, a motion graphics author at Pluralsight. This instructor demonstrates to you how to use Photoshop by importing a nice underwater video clip and then picking a starting point in the timeline to begin painting the ghoul face over the footage.
Once the first pose is satisfactory, he demonstrates to you how to duplicate the layer and use tools to create two more poses for the face. After that, he will composite the document into After Effects and will track the motion of the face in the footage and apply the information to the ghoul layers to match their movements.
Finally, the great animation tools in After Effects will be used to create the animation of the mouth opening and some other finishing touches to help pull the illusion together. By this demonstration, you will understand how to digitally paint visual effects, composite Photoshop-layered files over live footage in After Effects as well as how to use powerful tools to help integrate your effects.
To join this course, you need the Photoshop CC 2014.
- Duration: 1 hour 52 minutes
- Best suited for intermediate level artists
- Taught by a great artist
9. Skillshare: Learn to Color with CLIP STUDIO PAINT
The Skillshare course, Learn to Color with CLIP STUDIO PAINT is put together to teach you how to take advantage of the amazing app that helps to add color to line art drawings.
The instructor of this course is Kurt Michael Russel, a pro colorist and instructor. This instructor informs you of the tools used and each stage of the process of coloring with the CLIP STUDIO PAINT app is broken down into lessons. This feature enables you to follow along with the methods the instructor uses over the years as a comic book colorist. The techniques taught in this course are suitable for use in any art style and not just comics.
The lessons in this course are full of tricks, tips and shortcuts from the basics of setting up layers and preparing line art to functions like correction layers and masking. You will also be taken through important program settings like how to setup a line drawing, how to add base colors, how to add light and shadow in different ways as well as how to use tools and functions of the CLIP STUDIO PAINT app in a mix of creative ways.
Another good thing about this course is that most of the coloring techniques taught are suitable for use in other apps like Photoshop or Procreate. Over 800 students have taken this course.
- Over 3 hours of on-demand video
- 34 lessons and 18 projects
- Taught by a professional comic book colourist
- Suitable for all levels
The overall best of all the excellent online digital art courses discussed above is Udemy: The Beginner’s Guide to Digital Art with Procreate on iPad. This amazing course focuses on teaching you how to go about digital art drawing with the help of Procreate, one of the best drawing apps on your iPad.
Aside from learning about the powerful digital art tool, Procreate, you will also learn about some interesting and valuable tips and tricks for digital drawing. The content of this course makes it a perfect choice for anyone looking to begin learning about digital art from a professional or those who desire to use Procreate to enhance their traditional art.